gis-l: ADMIN - Web Interface to the GIS Help Desk

Clay, Linc Linc.Clay@dep.state.fl.us
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:48:42 -0400

GIS Users

We have some very exciting news about the GIS Help Desk.  We now have a =
WEB
INTERFACE to the GIS Help Desk.  Why are we doing this you ask?  For =
several
reasons.  First, we failed to meet our Service Level Agreement in terms =
of
time to respond to help desk calls in the month of July.  The reason was =
that
several GIS Section staff members were on leave, and we had no mechanism =
smoothly forward phone-based help desk calls to staff who were here.
Secondly, with the web interface, we can immediately dispatch an email =
to the
"agent" who will be primarily responsible.  Thus, instead of having to =
talk
to Johnnie who will then route a question to me, Eric, April or Deborah,
based on the form information you enter, the call will be dispatched to =
the
appropriate staff member directly.  Hopefully this will result in faster
(and
we don't know what they will be yet), you will have a way to get help =
without
relying solely on the phones.

The GIS Help Desk web interface is accessible from the DEPNET at=20

	http://DEPNET > select "GIS" from Topics > select "GIS Section"
>select "User Services" menu pick > select "Help Desk" menu pick

or directly at the URL below.

	http://depnet/bisnet/bisgis/hdesk/tar/HD_menu.htm

We hope this web interface helps us serve you better. =20

What's more, as some of you know, we are building a "GIS Knowledge Base" =
that
will hold GIS-related information (in the form of plain text, MS Word =
docs,
PDFs, and images).  This information will be submitted by GIS Section =
staff
as well as ALL INTERESTED USERS.  The information in the knowledge base =
will
be indexed by subject matter, and searchable based on the subject matter
index (as well as key words in the information).  Once the knowledge =
base is
built and information starts pouring in, when you log a help desk TAR
(Technical Assistance Request) via the web interface, your confirmation =
web
page will also have a list of GIS Knowledge Base articles that relate to =
the
problem you reported.  Will that be cool or what?

-Linc

Linc Clay
Bureau of Information Systems/GIS
2600 Blair Stone Rd., MS 6520