gis-l: ArcSDE & License Mgr Going Down at 6:05 PM EST

Clay, Linc Linc.Clay@dep.state.fl.us
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:43:23 -0500

GIS Users,

** ArcSDE and the ESRI License Manager will go down for about 30 minutes =
this
evening at 6:05 EST for emergency maintenance ***

** User Note - It appears that ArcSDE is not truly hung, but is busy
finishing a selection.  If you wait a while  (10 to 15 minutes) it =
appears
that ArcSDE will finish what it is doing and continue happily on its =
way.
For this reason, when a pause occurs, we will wait 30 minutes before we =
shut
it down.  **

Here's where we are on the ArcSDE issue.  ESRI has given us two likely
culprits: ArcIMS or the universal SDEUSER read-only account.  Solving =
these
two potential causes calls for different actions, so we are continue to
review ArcSDE, Oracle and system logs to try to determine the cause with =
some
higher degree of certainty.

We will reboot EPIC31 (the ArcSDE server) tonight in case it is a =
hardware
issue.  There is some system log evidence that an unrelated drive =
mounting
problem may be a contributing factor.  This reboot will help remove that
potential cause.

We will also continue to watch the ArcSDE logs and add Oracle tracing to =
try
to further isolate the culprit.  We are now determining an alternative =
user
registration approach and building additional ArcSDE instances as =
potential
work-arounds.  We'll let you know which way we have to go because =
neither
approach will be painless: both will entail substantial change.

Again, I apologize for this problem and it is receiving our highest
attention.

-Linc

Linc Clay
FDEP/DRAM/BIS/GIS