gis-l: Accessing GIS Enterprise Services - Work-Around

Judd, Chris Chris.Judd@dep.state.fl.us
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:06:52 -0500

GIS Users,

The DNS problem was resolved at 3:00 PM yesterday.  If you have made =
edits to
your hosts file to work around this issue please remove them at this =
time.

BIS/GIS

-----Original Message-----
From: gis-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us
[mailto:gis-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us]On Behalf Of Clay, Linc
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 12:24 PM
To: gis-l@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: gis-l: Accessing GIS Enterprise Services - Work-Around

GIS Users,

One slight boot-strapping issue here, if the Desktop Administrator can't =
get
the license manager, then it won't open up so you can't change the =
license
manager by entering the IP.  Seems like a bit of a design flaw...

But, we have a work-around.  Use NotePad to edit your OS Hosts file =
(found in
the OS directory under windows\system32\drivers\etc).  Put the following =
into
the hosts file.

199.73.169.31	esrilic
199.73.169.31	arcsde
199.73.169.31	epic31

Use a tab to separate the IP address from the name.  Save the hosts file =
and
you should be back in business for the license manager, DataMiner, etc.  =
You
will need administrative access to your machine to make this edit of the =
OS.

Sorry for the hassle.

-Linc

Systems