gis-l: Searching based on location

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at dep.state.fl.us
Mon Apr 3 12:44:46 EDT 2006

In ArcToolBox, under Analysis Tool, find the Near tool.

You'll need to export the layer you want to work with to a shapefile first,
as the tool will need to write values to layer's table, and can't if the
layer is coming from ArcSDE (where you don't have write access).

Pull up the Near tool, pick your layers to work with, set a maximum distance,
run the tool, and your layer now contains 2 new fields -- NEAR_FID (which is
the Feature ID from the target layer -- and which you join back target layer
table to add more attributes to your results) and NEAR_DIST. For each
features that don't have a target within the buffer you specified, the
NEAR_FID will be -1 and the NEAR_DIST will be 0.

Good luck,
Richard Butgereit
Environmental Manager
GIS Coordinator, WRM, Florida DEP