gis-l: not a valid ArcMap document? is this a corrupted file?

Muldoon, Kathryn Kathryn.Muldoon at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Jan 28 16:17:33 EST 2010

All,

Yesterday, ArcGIS 9.3, as well as the 9.3.1 service pack, were loaded onto my computer.  After working on an ArcMap file for 4 hrs today (I had originally created it in 9.2), I saved it, closed it, etc. without any fanfare.  After returning from an errand, I tried to open up the .mxd file and saw this error message:

"specified file does not contain a valid ArcMap document"

Does anyone have any suggestions for recovering this file?   Does this message mean it's hopelessly corrupted? Help!

Thanks,
Kate

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." - Will Rogers

Kate Muldoon
Watershed Monitoring
Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection
MS 3525, 2600 Blair Stone Rd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2400
Tel: 850.245.8579   FAX: 850.245.7571

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Kathryn.Muldoon@dep.state.fl.us>. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.