gis-l: Surface water Class II metadata update

Klemm, Janet Janet.Klemm at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Jan 21 11:27:18 EST 2016

Greetings,

As part of the recent Triennial Review of Florida's water quality standards, the Water Quality Standards Program has updated information for Surface Water Classification boundaries for Class II waters within ten counties. We have placed the updated shapefiles and a draft explanatory document in folder "Draft Class II" at this link ftp://ftp.dep.state.fl.us/pub/outgoing/.

We request that those of you who regularly use the Surface Water classification boundary layers (areas and lines) review the attributes and the shapefiles, and let us know if any additional information would be helpful for your program.

You will notice that each of these counties has some water listed in the attribute tables as Class III. These are waters that were reclassified from Class III to Class II by the ERC on December 9, 2015, and will appear as Class II on the data layers once EPA approves these changes. The classification boundaries for the Class II waters in these counties were set by the ERC approval of maps that were incorporated by reference into Chapter 62-302, F.A.C.  They cannot be changed outside of rulemaking, and as such, we are only asking for feedback on the attributes at this time.

The maps and new rule language for these counties is also included on the ftp site for reference.  Eventually, all counties with Class II waters will be changed to the new format.

Please take a look and send me your comments/questions/feedback by the end of January. We will finalize the metadata once your feedback has been received.

Thank you,

Janet Klemm

Janet Klemm
2600 Blair Stone Rd, MS 6511