gis-l: NHD layer updated
Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Mar 3 08:56:01 EST 2017
Hello GIS Users,
The National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) was recently updated in the FDEP Open Data Portal<http://geodata.dep.state.fl.us/> and MapDirect.
DataMiner Name - Florida NHD
The latest update is a snapshot of the federal NHD layer as of January 17, 2017. Once downloaded, the database undergoes a series of manipulations to prepare it for release including:
* Projecting into Florida Albers HARN.
* Creation and population of the Parent_Field for Flowlines
* Download, preparation and integration of the Board on Geographic Names (BGN) Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) variant names tables for the state of Florida features.
* Addition of relationship classes between Flowlines, Areas, Waterbodies and Variant Names
* Addition of relationship classes between Flowlines and Areas, and Flowlines and Waterbodies
* Addition of the NHD100K database
* Update of the symbology layer used for DataMiner
Notable edits in the 24K NHD database since the previous download were in the following subbasins:
* Florida Southeast Coast (03090206)
* Apalachicola (03130011)
* St. Andrew-St. Joseph Bays (03140101)
* and assorted network improvements made by USGS staff in St. Andrew-St. Joseph Bays (03140101).
As before, in the symbology layer, NHD24K labels for Flowline, Areas and Waterbodies were grouped by scale and size. These Label Classes are fully customizable from the featureclass properties Labels tab if adjustments are needed. By categorizing the labels, only the largest features are labelled when zoomed way out. When you zoom closer in (larger scale), the labels of the smaller lakes, bays and other features appear.
This layer is available under the 'Water' and 'WRM' buttons in DataMiner.
Also, when you add the data from DataMiner, you will notice the NOAA-NFHAP Estuarine Zones has been bundled with the NHD layer file. More information on the National Fish Habitat Action Plan (NFHAP) estuarine zones can be found in the metadata.
The Florida NHD team welcomes input from the scientific community. Submitting your local knowledge about an area that needs updating in the database is a valuable contribution that benefits everyone. Feel free to contact me at the email address below regarding questions or data contributions to the NHD.
Edwin A. Abbey
NHD Steward - Environmental Manager
Office of Watershed Services
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
2600 Blair Stone Road, MS 3526
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us<mailto:Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the GIS-L