[Pharmwaste] FW: Take back programs and "pharmas"

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM@adeq.state.ar.us
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:32:22 -0600

I'm a newcomer and I couldn't resist getting into this. =20

[is ann or glynda on this list?]

There's been a couple cities here in arkansas that sent surveys out to
their pharmacies regarding out-dated medicines.  Those pharmas that
replied said the manufacturer "takes them back".  Is this a national
requirement/initiative or just done on a case (company) by case basis?

What's known about the extended life/nursing homes, home health care
workers' requirements and remote/rural health clinics?  Is there any fed
regs that even get close to placing requirements on them (fda
"controlled" substances, yes, I know)?  Or is that also on a state by
state basis?  Or is the problem not even registered nationwide yet? =20

Hope I haven't missed too much on this informal listserve provided by
those energetic folks in florida and king county but, emerging
pollutants of concern (mainly pharmas and otc medicines) seem to be
turning mister fishes into a misses (don't want to get into chloramines
and water purification techniques, yet).

If the pharma companies know how to create these concoctions, then they
should know how to destroy them or make them inert in a shorter time
frame before they enter/exit our w.w. treatment plants.

Thanx for any guidance to literature, weblinks, etc.  Our next regional
pretreatment conference in irving, tx in march will have two good
speakers talking about this topic (thanx glynda!).

Allen gilliam
Adeq state pretreatment coordinator
501.682.0625