[Pharmwaste] Pharmaceutical Waste

Scott Morgan smorgan@mcswmd.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:18:52 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4FD8A.2A342F56

Bill and Others,

There are some community benefits that have been focused in on in =
Indiana.  Protecting seniors from taking old/expired meds, keeping meds =
off of the street from dealers, users, and kids, protecting the =
environment from people flushing old meds down the drain which leads to =
the septic system or waste water treatment plant, and keeping them form =
entering the water supply in general have all been viewed as benefits in =
Indiana. =20

The Monroe County Solid Waste Management District and the Monroe/Owen =
TRIAD (which is a seniors group) started a pilot program back in 2001.  =
This program focused collecting spent, out of date, and unwanted =
pharmaceuticals from seniors.  The idea was to have a selected week to =
highlight this activity.  In 2001, we focused our collection efforts on =
a different senior center each day for a week.  Several other senior =
groups, AARP, the county commissioners, the mayor, the sheriffs =
department and the Indiana State Police joined in as partners.  At each =
location was a uniformed sheriff's deputy to handle and take possession =
of the controlled substances.  The Monroe County SWMD handled the =
disposal of the non-controlled pharmaceuticals as HHW. =20

Today the program continues as more people have joined on board.  Many =
solid waste districts have held collections.  Libraries, fire stations, =
senior centers, police stations, etc... have all served as collection =
points during these special collection weeks.  The Indiana Attorney =
General, Steve Carter, who is a big supporter of the seniors & TRIAD =
programs has offered up small grants to help offset some of the costs =
(particularly advertising) with these special collections.  =20

Scott A. Morgan
Hazardous Materials Director and President, Indiana Household Hazardous =
Waste Task Force, Inc.
Monroe County Solid Waste Management District
3400 South Walnut Street
Bloomington, IN 47401-7403
812-349-2867 ph.
812-349-2872 fx.