[Pharmwaste] Fw: [SFBAY_Pharm_Disp] Response letter from Drug Enforcement Administration

Stevan Gressitt gressitt@uninets.net
Fri, 13 May 2005 21:08:22 -0400

Kathilee Champlin did run a program in Colorado and some other states but
was eventually closed down around regulatory issues from what she has told
me.

She has moved on to other things in Colorado these days, but the letter from
DEA that has been attached here and on another email are not the only
letters that Pat's office has issued. By their very existence the central
office has demonstrated attention paid to this issue.

More than one person on this list has been in contact with DEA and even
though we may have disliked or felt that the advice or interpretations given
were harsh or unhelpful, I have personally felt that I was always dealt with
courteously, with a great deal of patience, and with clear attentiveness to
my concerns.

I do not believe that central office of DEA is not paying attention to this
issue.

I do believe that without a formal policy as of yet, there is and will be
variation amongst the various local offices and divisions.

I believe a policy is coming, whether or not we or I like it. Federal
legislation may be necessary to address this issue. Preparations are being
made.

The second annual "Unused Medicines Disposal Conference will be held again
in Bangor Maine in October with a date to be determined next week and will
be announced shortly thereafter.

There may be an announcement from a major medical group on this issue within
a week or so. I hope so.

Stevan Gressitt, M.D.