[Pharmwaste] Percentage of waste drugs from unwanted consumer meds

Charlotte A. Smith csmith at pharmecology.com
Thu Nov 10 17:16:15 EST 2005

Hello,

I just received a call from a staffer at the US House of Representatives
Science Committee inquiring as to what percentage of drugs entering the
environment, primarily through drain/sewer disposal, can be attributed
to consumers flushing unwanted medications. I do not know of any studies
on this or available data. Do any of you have information you can share
that I can refer back to this gentleman? It appears the House of
Representatives is starting to become interested in this issue so I
think we should do all we can to make the case for enabling legislation,
especially with respect to DEA and funding of programs. Thanks much!

Charlotte A. Smith, R. Ph., M.S., HEM

President

PharmEcology Associates, LLC

200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101