[Pharmwaste] Pandemic drug/vaccine waste disposal

Bickford, Barbara J. Barbara.Bickford at dnr.state.wi.us
Wed Nov 30 15:32:58 EST 2005

We are hearing about federal and state efforts to plan responses in case
of an avian flu outbreak or other pandemic.  We have read about possible
stockpiles of anti-viral drugs such as Tamiflu (r) and Relenza (r)  and
the need for about 40 million 2 course doses of flu vaccine.

This raises some questions:
*	Whether the responses involve stockpiled vaccines or vaccines
made if novel virus is found ---is anyone figuring the cost of disposal
of unused vaccines?
*	If some or all of those "gazillion" doses are unused, who is
going to pay for disposal?
*	Are manufacturers going to take back their unused products for
proper disposal?
*	How likely is it that an avian flu vaccine would contain
thimerosal (mercury preservative) in amounts that might make it a RCRA
hazardous waste when discarded?
*	Similarly, would anti-viral drugs contain enough thimerosal or
something else that might make them RCRA hazardous waste when discarded?

*	Or are these vaccines going to contain live virus, which may
need to be managed as infectious waste when discarded?
*	Where can state waste regulators get more up-to-date information
about pandemic planning?

This is my personal opinion:  I think it would be wise if planners would
consider the cost of the dose AND the cost of disposal.   While vaccines
with thimerosal may cost less initially, the cost of managing excess
vaccine may be more than for non-thimerosal vaccines.
Barb Bickford
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
608-267-3548
barbara.bickford at dnr.state.wi.us