[Pharmwaste] Do DEA regulations allow municipal waste combustor to receive mailed back controlled substances from households?

Charlotte A. Smith csmith at pharmecology.com
Mon Aug 14 22:28:37 EDT 2006

Hi Jack,
That is definitely a question for DEA in Wash DC and your regional DEA
office. It certainly is not an accepted procedure at this time. Unless
the incinerator itself is a DEA registrant, and I don't know of any
municipal incinerators that are, the returned controlled substances need
to be received by a law enforcement officer. I suggest you write a
letter to your regional DEA and they can pass it up the chain of command
for a response. You can contact them by visiting the Diversion Office
directory at
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/offices/index.html. Please
keep us posted as to their response!  Hope this helps.

Charlotte A. Smith, R. Ph., M.S., HEM
President
PharmEcology Associates, LLC
200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101