[Pharmwaste] Novel program to curb pollution from drugs

Matthew Mireles mirelesmc at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 11:11:12 EST 2007

Bravo to all involved with this community program in Vacaville!  This
certainly sounds like a win-win effort for everyone.  However, without
knowing what kinds of drugs are being returned, what proportion is
controlled substance, why people are returning them or stopping taking their
meds, or how much it all cost, we still won't have any clue to target
primary prevention for the demand for these drugs and the problems of
stockpiling them in our homes and not adhering to medical treatments and
doctor's directions.  All outcomes are undesirable.

For example, in Maine, researchers doing similar collections identified
over-prescription of antidepressants (benzodiazepines) and are now
monitoring better how this medication is being prescribed to patients.
Other communities probably will have variations in unused and expired
medications returned.  But we would never know until we collect data.

Too many medications are requested by patients, prescribed by doctors, and
dispensed by pharmacists in the US.  More than 130 million prescriptions of
antibiotics are written each year; 50% of them are considered inappropriate.
By the way, this equates to 25,000 tons of antibiotics.  As an
epidemiologist, I look for ways to prevent the problem, and the very first
step is to understand the problem or situation by collecting information.

The Community Medical Foundation for Patient Safety, based in Houston, has
set up a unique national registry to collect such data. The Unused and
Expired Medicines Registry is receiving data from various community-based
collection programs similar to the one described.  We encourage citizens to
get a simple inventory form that they can fill out as they clear out their
medicine cabinets and drawers of unwanted drugs.  Then, they should drop off
these drugs along with the completed form.  Collection organizers can make
copies of the forms and mail the copies to us for coding and analysis.

The data are entered into the national Registry and a summary report of the
collection is sent back to the organizers.  We already have compiled about
5,000 entries, including cost analysis.  Our campaign is called "Join our
Group!"  GROUP stands for "Get Rid of Unused Pharmaceuticals".  Information
brochure and a standard reporting (inventory) form are now available.  This
campaign can be modified to suit your needs and target audience.  At the
moment, we do not physically collect any drugs, just the data.

If you are interested in learning more about the Unused and Expired
Medicines Registry and GROUP, please contact me directly.

Matthew Mireles, PhD, MPH
President and CEO
Community Medical Foundation for Patient Safety
6800 West Loop South, Suite 190
Bellaire, TX 77401
Phone and fax: 832-778-7777
www.communityofcompetence.com