[Pharmwaste] Guidance - Pharm waste disposal

DNKing at lincoln.ne.gov DNKing at lincoln.ne.gov
Thu Sep 13 17:26:12 EDT 2007

Hello:

State law in Nebraska requires that all discontinued meds for nursing home
residents be destroyed on the site of the long-term care facility.
Currently, I believe that these meds are being flushed?  Can you think of a
way to render the meds unusable, so that they can be safely put into the
trash? (What can they be mixed with that would not make them a hazardous
waste or be noted as "treatment"?)

Also, what about household hazardous waste-like events, can pharmaceuticals
be rendered unusable on-site at a mobile collection? I've heard yes and no.

Finally, I'm having a challenging time finding any DEA guidance on the
issue?

Any and all info regarding on-site destruction is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan N. King
Environmental Health Educator II
Environmental Public Health Division
Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
office 441.8084
dnking at lincoln.ne.gov
www.lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: household)

"Waste is a tax on the whole people."
- Albert W. Atwood
and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.  If you are not
destroy all copies of the