[Pharmwaste] starting a take back program

Grasso, Cheri Cheri.Grasso at kingcounty.gov
Tue Feb 19 17:35:57 EST 2008

In Washington State, we have a pilot take back program in 25 clinical
HMO pharmacies in six counties across the state.  We are using secure
containers located in front of the pharmacy counter.  Patients put their
meds into the box directly.  A sign directs patients to not put
controlled substances into the container. It is set up similar to how
you described your planned program.  Details of our program can be found
at
www.Medicinereturn.org   We will expand the pilot to a retail pharmacy
in the next month.

We applied for a USDEA waiver about two years ago.  When the DEA didn't
respond to our request, we enlisted the help of the Washington State
Governor, the Washington State Attorney General and our two U.S.
Senators who all wrote letters to the USDEA requesting they grant us a
waiver.  In a letter to our senators, the DEA acknowledged that unwanted
medicines in our communities was a problem; however, their
interpretation of their existing regulations do not allow for a waiver
(our State Attorney General disagrees with their interpretation)  The
USDEA in that letter said they would begin revising their regulation to
address this issue.

Cheri Grasso
Health and Environmental Investigator
Local Hazardous Waste Management Program
130 Nickerson Street, Suite 100
Seattle, WA  98109  ph: 206-263-3089 fax: 206-263-3070
cheri.grasso at kingcounty.gov (NEW)