[Pharmwaste] Cosmetic dangers

DeBiasi,Deborah dldebiasi at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Jul 30 09:42:46 EDT 2008

Cosmetic dangers

Updated: July 28, 2008 06:00 PM EDT

 Video On Demand

 Cosmetic dangers

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - - Many of us wear makeup; we've been putting it on for centuries. However, have you ever wondered what this stuff is really made of?

I recently showed shopper Charis Gatas a list of cosmetics that were evaluated for safety.

"Are you getting nervous?" I asked. "A little bit," Gatas said.

Environmental groups say there's nothing pretty about a lot of beauty products. Some contain chemicals linked to cancer and other health problems. "What's in them that's making them so hazardous," Gatas wondered.

The truth is, many mainstream products contain a host of unregulated toxic ingredients. Scientists are particularly interested in phthalates and parabens - chemicals variously linked to breast cancer and other health problems. But don't toss out your makeup bag just yet.

Dr. Christine Ambrosone chairs the Department of Cancer Prevention and Control at Roswell Park. She said, "Some of the chemicals used in cosmetics in lab studies have been shown to disrupt estrogens now estrogens may affect risk of cancer but there have been no studies that have directly shown that cosmetics or chemicals in cosmetics increase risk of breast cancer."

The cosmetic industry is largely a self regulated industry and companies will argue that the chemicals in question are used in such small amounts that they can't do any harm.

Merle Norman's American made products have been on the market for decades and undergo rigorous testing.

"The amount of cancer causing ingredients that would be in the product would be so miniscule that there's probably more contaminants in the water that we drink," said Cheryl.

Still, momentum is building for greater oversight. California recently imposed new rules and the American Cancer Society supports continued research.

Gretchen Leffler from the American Cancer Society said, "You never know every cosmetic company uses different formulas and so it's an industry that needs to be looked at."

Ambrosone also said, "I think this is really a personal decision based on what people read and believe. It's far more important that people keep weight at a moderate level, exercise and lead a healthy lifestyle. Don't smoke. These are much stronger risk factors for cancer."

Still, more and more cosmetic companies have reformulated products to remove questionable chemicals.

"I guess it would be good to check in before I buy anything else in the future," Gatas said.

If you want to check your cosmetics, simply log click on the safe products link on WIVB.com.

 Cosmetics Database:   http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/splash.php?URI=%2Findex.php

Story by Lorey Schultz (WIVB)

Deborah L. DeBiasi
Email:   dldebiasi at deq.virginia.gov
WEB site address:  www.deq.virginia.gov
Office of Water Permit Programs
Industrial Pretreatment/Toxics Management Program
PPCPs, EDCs, and Microconstituents
Mail:          P.O. Box 1105, Richmond, VA  23218 (NEW!)
Location:  629 E. Main Street, Richmond, VA  23219
PH:         804-698-4028
FAX:      804-698-4032