[Pharmwaste] Research on Contaminants in Canadian and European Waters?

Rachel G. Smith Rachel.G.Smith at ncmail.net
Thu Jun 5 08:54:02 EDT 2008

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any kind of pre/post data from regions
where there has been a comprehensive drug return system in place for
some time (I'm thinking Canada and/or Europe).

I was reading through the responses of Dr. Shane A. Snyder of the
Southern Nevada Water Authority to questions posed by the Senate
Committee on Environment and Public Works.  In Dr. Snyder's words, "the
majority of compounds detected in source waters are not the result of
improper disposal, but rather are attributable to human excretion of
non-metabolized medications."

I have, of course, heard this before, but usually from drug
manufacturers and not from an individual representing water treatment
facilities.  It stands to reason that, if this statement is indeed the
case, then pre-return-program data would not differ considerably from
post-program data.  At least that would be the closest we may be able to
get to a controlled experiment.

Does anybody have or know if this kind of data?  If so, could you please
send it to me or let me know where I could get it.

In case you're wondering, I'm coming at this issue from an environmental
education perspective.  We have very limited funds and, if some sort of
return mechanism were to be put in place in North Carolina, we would
want to make sure that dedicating funds to its promotion would be going
towards solving this issue.

I appreciate everyone's time and help in this matter!

Sincerely,
Rachel Golden Smith
--
Rachel Golden Smith
Adult Environmental Education Program Manager

Check out the Eco-Smart Consumer Blog
<http://eco-smartconsumer.blogspot.com/>!