[Pharmwaste] follow-up household pharm question

David Banas David.Banas at state.co.us
Tue Nov 4 13:09:49 EST 2008

Thanks everyone for the excellent responses to my initial question about household pharmaceutical collection programs.  It appears the consensus is that we can not accept controlled substances without DEA, or at least police, involvement.
How about non-controlled substances?  Does anyone have any experience with collection programs that only accept non-DEA regulated drugs?  Has DEA stepped in and tried to require some kind of DEA or police or pharmacist related screening system?
Does this kind of take-back program even make sense?
Thanks in advance,
-David

David Banas
Assistant Attorney General
Natural Resources and Environment Section
Colorado Department of Law
1525 Sherman St.
Denver, CO 80203
303.866.5456