[Pharmwaste] Healthcare and the economy

Barry Fernandez Barry at clean-fuels.net
Wed Nov 12 12:11:05 EST 2008

Hello Everyone,

We've seen all the headlines by now:  auto makers in trouble, financial institutions being bailed out, major insurance companies upsetting global markets, record unemployment rate, Starbucks (God forbid) posting major losses.

Conventional wisdom has it that healthcare is among the most recession proof markets of the economy.  I'm sure there are a plethora of articles out there with opinions that span the gamut.  But for all the financial analysis, the best source of information comes from within.  People who live it, as it were.  People who subscribe to this list.  With that in mind, a discussion on the issue should be interesting.

As we all face the daily challenges of the economy, how do you see things shaking out in healthcare?

Will the cost of healthcare increase amid the current crisis?
Will insurance companies keep up with the increased cost or tighten up on covered treatments?
Will unemployment and other personal issues increase stress in the household thereby making more people ill?
Will some regions of the country be more or less affected than others?
The "Greening" of healthcare can sometimes be expensive. How do you think the economy will impact current and future trends, or will it?

Will drinking less Mint Mocha Chip Frappuccino Blended Coffee with chocolate whipped cream ultimately make us healthier, or will the withdrawal cause depression?

These are just a few questions, feel free to add your own.

Best Regards,
Barry

Clean Fuels of Florida, Inc.
D. Barry Fernandez, President