[Pharmwaste] RE: Texas Pharmaceutical Disposal Programs

Jaramillo, Jeanie Jeanie.Jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu
Wed Aug 5 15:25:58 EDT 2009

I am from the Texas Panhandle Poison Center which is in Amarillo (not Lubbock).  We are having our first take back program on September 12th.  Law enforcement is involved.  DEA has been our most significant obstacle, but we are finally getting there.  We’ve also had discussions with the TX State Board of Pharmacy.  It is my belief that there are programs in the State that are conducted without law enforcement involvement.  From my correspondence with the DEA, they are beginning to “crack down” on these.  There are many groups who do not understand all of the regulations and unfortunately, they are not summarized in any one place.

Jeanie Jaramillo, PharmD

Managing Director, Texas Panhandle Poison Center

Assistant Professor, Texas Tech UHSC School of Pharmacy

1501 S. Coulter St.

Amarillo, TX 79106

P: (806) 354-1611

C: (806) 672-0833