[Pharmwaste] RE: Texas Pharmaceutical Disposal Programs

Matthew C. Mireles mirelesmc at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 7 22:34:32 EDT 2009

Those are good points Virginia.  I believe in absence of any measureable leadership or guidance from federal agencies, it was open to how we named our Registry and Directory.  Yes, we are aware of most of the programs you mentioned and we try to make every attempt to contact the organizers with our Annual Survey.  Since this is a voluntary national survey to drug take-back programs, we can't make anyone complete the form and return it to us.  We usually make note of the program but we can't include it in our National Directory.  Completion of the survey and successful transmission back to our office for coding constitute consent to be listed on our National Directory.  We don't list any program that the organizer(s) chooses not to participate in our survey.   Several don't want to be listed because it was just a one-time, pilot study or the program was a failure.

We also check our data with the DEA.  I don't believe the EPA has anything official about drug take-back programs except those that were funded.  We approached the survey as a scientific data collection, not just listing the name and location.  We go into a little description of the program, especially the involvement of law enforcement and sharing of UEM data.  We hope to encourage more programs to collect usable data based on our standardized instrument so they can be entered into our National Unused and Expired Medicines Registry.  I don't think any federal agency has a similar national database on UEM.   I know so because we provide reports to the FDA, EPA, DEA, ONDCP, state governments, and research groups around the country.  As a matter of fact, I just finished our keynote presentation to the EPA Region 6...a talk on pharmaceuticals and personal care products.  This is a pretreatment group, and most members are not too aware of the current issues and discussion of UEMs.  I think we educated this EPA group.

I just returned from DC for a discussion of a high-level proposition to create a regional multi-state take back system.  There is a growing interest to standardize or at least conform drug take-back programs in the US.  Polymorphism of these programs is causing some great deal of concern with a number of risk, such as legality , safety, and compliance to federal regulations.  As this movement grows, I imagine one or two national models would emerge.  Any other model of drug take-back programs would end.  In additional to our National Unused and Expired Medicines Registry, we publish the National Directory of Drug Take-Back and Disposal Programs.  Info from the latter comes directly from our survey and is analzyed and included in summary tables for comparison.  This is the info we provided to the folks in DC.

In a few weeks we post electronically the most updated list of take-back programs.  This list will be posted at 4 websites: Maine Benzo, Community Medical Foundation, Product Stewardship Institute, and NNEPC.   We are in the process of expanding our Community of Partners to include NPCIE, NADDI, Poison Centers, and others to post the same list.

If anyone knows of a drug take-back program in your neighborhood and community, please, please let us know.  Or tell the organizer to contact us.  We will invite them to complete our Annual Survey and include them in our National Directory.  The participants on the "pharmwaste listserv" based on Florida are the best when it comes to dissemination of info!  Response rate to our survey was significantly increased when the survey was published on the pharmwaste listserv.  We studied several listservs to evaluate how info about UEMs and drug take-back programs is diffused and shared among a community of interested professionals, researchers, policy makers, advocates, and even government workers.

The top three listservs for this kind of discussion and information are:

1.  pharmwaste listserv  !!!!
2.  Maine Benzo group
3.  Product Stewardship Institute

Virginia, if you are in touch with drug take-back programs in your area, please join your EPA colleagues in notifying us or mentioning our group to them.  Many start up programs can benefit from our technical assistance with program implementation and data collection.  We are still trying to move people away from reporting number of boxes, barrels, and pounds.

Incidentally, the presentation to the EPA covered the exact drug name, type, quantity (pill count), environmental hazard and risk assessment (based on the Sweden environmental classification system; I don't think the EPA has developed a environement classification system for pharmaceuticals that is usable).  Several years ago, Sweden began systematic tissue sampling fish and amphibians for adverse effects from drugs in the water.  Through ODEC's new REACH principle (Restriction, Evaluation, Assessment of (dangerous) Chemcials), drug companies must demonstrate that a new drug is environmentally safe before it goes into market.  I believe it may be the opposite in the US where we have to show that a chemical or drug is dangerous before it can be removed.  Interestingly, the EPA fought fiercely against the adoption and implementation of REACH in the EU.

Is anyone more knowledgeable about REACH and care to elucidate this EU policy and how it will have an impact on our pharmaceutical export to EU and the work of the US EPA?  This may be a job for that feisty senator (Boxer?) who sits on the environmental safety committee and EPA and learned about drugs in the water when she read the AP story in her local newspaper.  She should join our pharmwaste listserv and stayed informed.

Therefore, Virginia, when the EPA starts collecting systematic data on UEMs and conducting annual surveys of drug take-back program and compiling them in some accessible database(s), I'll be happy to turn over our National Registry and National Directory to you.  Right now, think of our programs as place holders until something more wonderful comes along.  If you wish to have a copy of our National Directory, we now can invoice you directly and take your payment online.

Matthew Mireles