[Pharmwaste] Illinois Prohibits Health Facilities from Flushing Meds

TBadrick at aol.com TBadrick at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 21:51:08 EDT 2009

Its unlikely you would see it in the drain effluent, but a complete
no-brainer to come in and ask employees or review policies. Given there are  RCRA
regulated drugs...since oh say the 1970's you have an open door  to come in
and inspect by the State. My former employer had a 2 year old  hospital with
a catch basin where sharps were found...its not that hard to find  mistakes
if you know where to look and want to find them.

Actually it wouldn't be that hard to sample a sink or hopper and find trace
 on the surface as evidence.

If I were in Illinois I'd be crawling thru the policy manuals tonight...all
 of them to make sure nothing is missed.  Having spent enough time in
hospital committees changing policy in a healthcare system, you are looking  at
6 months or more work at a minimum.

I applaud the State of Illinois for doing this even though the bulk of
pharm pollution does not come from healthcare settings.  Its a start and  one
which will reverberate throughout the entire healthcare system, thus to
customers.

In a message dated 8/19/2009 1:04:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,