[Pharmwaste] Re: Pharmwaste Digest, Vol 50, Issue 3

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Thu Dec 10 16:21:56 EST 2009

I know it's been discussed, but if I'm not mistaken, EPA is currenly looking into the uptake of some meds into muni-biosolids amended crops.  Worst case would be if they find drugs migrating and bioaccumulating into the potential food chain beginning with hay, corn, maize, etc, then possibly into our cattle, chickens, etc.  I guess one could eat his/her fresh veggies from the biosolids-amended compost they've spread on their garden and get their BP meds this way.  What a way to cut down on medicare costs....

If some of these medications are as persistent as the plastics, I'm of the opinion, public opinion would shut this door quicker'n gnat's gas.  We'll have to see (i.e.: make a note for your granchillen considering EPA's pace).

Allen g