[Pharmwaste] RE: Seattle Times Editorial on Pharms

Pete Pasterz PAPasterz at cabarruscounty.us
Wed Jan 21 13:36:21 EST 2009

Do let pharmaceuticals leak from landfills
Patrick Moore is considered by many "activist groups", including Greenpeace, to be an industry sell-out.  While I pass no judgment on this indictment, notice the solution he proposes:  He scoffs at the idea of an industry take back program because 1] It is not necessary because the amount of drugs is small  [though this contradicts his thesis that improper disposition is indeed a problem]    2]it will be costly [to industry?] and  3] be energy inefficient contributing to greenhouse gasses [though he does not quantify the extent of this problem...and in other contexts he has dismissed anthropogenic global warming].  He rather proposes landfilling the drugs  [which according to EPA will leak into groundwater, perhaps converted in form in a stew of other chemicals] or take to "local collection programs"....where will such programs then take this material, how will it be disposed, at what cost, and what efficiency of transport?

And, of course note the industry-apologist mantra:  "It's important to note that, to date, no risk to human health from exposure to trace pharmaceutical compounds found in drinking water has been demonstrated in the scientific literature."

No, of course they have not YET been traced...to human health problems, but they HAVE BEEN to other organisms.  This statement has been used to defend all sorts of practices such as smoking, asbestos mining, sludge deposition, etc.    How much other environmental damage must occur before we have irrefutable HUMAN damage?  Who is/will be funding the effort to trace them?

The fundamental issue is do we follow the "precautionary principle", or the current "proven innocent" model.  Industry responsibility systems may force the industry to reassess the numbers of redundant drugs, whether all ailments require a drug treatment, and the appropriate dosage so that they are metabolized instead of being wasted...such programs do not have to be set up to be cost or energy-inefficient.
þ Pete Pasterz, NCQRP
Cabarrus County Recycling and HHW
PO BOX 707
Concord, NC  28026
www.cabarruscounty.us/waste
If you're not for ZERO Waste, how much Waste ARE you for?