[Pharmwaste] Re: Pharmwaste Digest, Vol 44, Issue 12

Pickrel.Jan at epamail.epa.gov Pickrel.Jan at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jul 6 11:39:36 EDT 2009

The Universal Waste Rule is not in my topic purview, but here is the
report name and date for the information which Rudy Vingris provided.

The data below is from the October 2008, "Assessment of the Potential
Costs, Benefits, and Other Impacts of Adding Pharmaceuticals to the
Universal Waste Rule, as provided,"
EPA Office of Solid Waste; Economics, Methods, and Risk Analysis
Division
This assessment was prepared as background documentation for the
proposed amendment to the Universal Waste Rule, December 2, 2008, 73 FR
73520:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-WASTE/2008/December/Day-02/f28161.pdf
 - -Jan
~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~
Jan Pickrel
Water Permits Division, Industrial Branch
US Environmental Protection Agency
phone:  (202) 564-7904.
fax:  (202) 564-6431.
pickrel.jan at epa.gov
~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~*^*~

pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us wrote on 06/23/2009 08:31:10
AM:

> [image removed]
>
> RE: [Pharmwaste] Re: Pharmwaste Digest, Vol 44, Issue 12
>
> Rudy Vingris
>
> to:
>
> 'Gilliam, Allen', pharmwaste
>
> 06/23/2009 08:31 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> The data below is from US EPA, collected for the Universal Waste
> Rule amendment as to the number of healthcare institutions:
>
> Type                        # Facilities
> Hospitals                        7,081
> Outpatient Care                 26,901
> Ambulatory Care                  8,730
> Residential Care                72,103
> Physician Offices              213,611
> Dentist Offices                122,918
> Other Practitioners            115,378
> Veterinary Clinics              27,247
> Pharmacies                      40,544
> Reverse Distributors                39
>

> [image removed]

The
> partials that can't be reused because that are not factory sealed?
> Those materials that are so far out of date?  The RDs know what they
> are. Do they pick them up anyway. Does that make them a TSDF? Are they
> manifested?
>
> Have all of the Hospital Pharmacies had their Formulary,(likely
stocked
> Drugs), reviewed as to which ones can be a Hazardous Waste when
unusable
> ,unreturnable, un credited, when a waste. Have they looked for
> characteristic Hazardous Waste? Mercury compounds that may be used as
> preservative? Metals in vitamins or dietary supplements? Alcohol or
CFCs

Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us