[Pharmwaste] Results of Analyses from wastewater effluent in FL

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Thu Oct 15 09:49:55 EDT 2009

Brian,

Pretty good 8th grade project, but it would have been even better if the
influent to the wetlands had been tested for concentrations of the same
parameters to determine the removal effectiveness of the wetlands.  Do
you know the retention time?

Your chems tested look very similar to the ones tested (page 17, table
6) in the attached Chicago project.  Most look like they're antibiotics
(hence, possible increased microbial resistance), others are from
commonly used household products with triclosan being of most interest.

I'm certainly not the one to make any correlations for cause and effect,
but triclosan (go ahead and have the city ban the sales of any soaps
containing it) is at a high enough concentration to possibly be
concerned about.  You may find some more useful info on EPA's website @
http://www.epa.gov/ppcp/ .

You should get many more "hits" on your study and kudos go out to your
son's science project.

Allen Gilliam
ADEQ State Pretreatment Coordinator
501.682.0625