[Pharmwaste] "Europe Finds Clean Energy in Trash, but U.S. Lags"

Lauer, Michelle MLauer at Christianacare.org
Tue Apr 13 16:25:02 EDT 2010

Mathew:
I could not second that one more! Thanks so much for pointing this out.
What we collect at the med-take back events are a graphic reminder of
all the 'overs' you mention below.

Michelle Lauer, RN, MSN, BC
Patient Care Coordinator - Psychiatry
(302) 428-2117 or pager # 884-9440

	From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
[mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Matthew
C. Mireles
	Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:13 PM
	To: Dennis Lucia; Deborah (DEQ)' 'DeBiasi;
pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us; Sue Dayton
	Cc: Elizabeth A. Smith PhD
	Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] "Europe Finds Clean Energy in Trash,
but U.S. Lags"

	I have a better idea...we need to stop believing we are that
sick.  US population consumes about 50% of the entire global
pharmaceutical production (approx $600 billion US).  Some of our samples
are showing about 40-50% of prescription medicines being thrown away
(flushed, buried, or burned).  One effective but very difficult
solutnion is to address the over-marketing, over-prescribing,
over-consuming, and over-the-top wasting in the US.  There really isn't
a cure for everything, and a true reality check might be the closest
panacea for many.

	Matthew Mireles

	Community Medical Foundation for Patient Safety