[Pharmwaste] Unwanted med collection event--Boy Scout Eagleproject

Matthew C. Mireles mirelesmc at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 18:38:01 EDT 2010

Law enforcement is required ONLY for controlled substances.  The chain of custody (including completion of FORM DEA-41) applies to ONLY controlled substances.  DEA provides an exemption to all law enforcement (sheriff, state trooper, constable, US Custom, FBI, deputized citizens, etc...NOT firemen, EMS, non-law enforcement security guards, etc.) to receive and destroy controlled substances.  Refer to 21 CFR Part 1300, Section 1301.24: Exemption of Law Enforcement Officials.  Consider collecting ONLY non-controlled drugs.

One important issue about unused and expired medicines is "pharming" among teens.  I highly recommend the Eagle Scout candidate to consider adding a health education/health promotion about the dangers of "pharming".  The National Center for Patient Education and Information (NCPIE at www.ncpie.org) has materials for young leaders (influencers) to increase awareness of the dangers of pharming.  Just an added value idea for Eagle Scout badge.

We had an unfortunate near-fatal case with a Boy Scout who was experimenting (pharming) his parents' medicines.

Matthew Mireles