[Pharmwaste] FW: Chemicals in water altering genders offish(*LakePepin,

Sue Dayton sdayton at swcp.com
Thu Feb 4 11:29:01 EST 2010

Tom:

It's a societal problem. I used to be married to an ER doctor. He said his
patients would get mad at him for not prescribing drugs when they thought
they needed them. Some patients would go as far as to write the hospital CEO
demanding that he be fired for not giving them what they felt they needed!
Pharm companies advertise on TV, radio and in magazines about which drugs
they should be taking for their medical problems. Pharm reps wine and dine
docs to order and prescribe their pills. Children and adults are prescribed
antidepressants for hyperactivity and depression. Today there is a pill for
everyone, for anything. Physicians don't even know why certain medications
work, but they do. This has been my own personal experience with statin
drugs.

I believe we need a multi-pronged approach to this which might include doing
more research/independent studies on health risks from toxic substances
(including pharms) currently not regulated; regulations that require testing
and removal of toxic substances (including pharms) by WWTPs; removal of
protections for certain chemicals classified as trade secrets; increased
public education about the risks of toxics substances and pharms in the
environment; a publicly-funded program to support green chemistry ...... an
incentive program for pharm co's to conduct green chemistry research?
Others?

Sue

Sue Dayton

Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League

North Carolina Healthy Communities Program

PO BOX 44

Saxapahaw, NC 27340

(336) 525-2003

sdayton at swcp.com

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
-  Martin Luther King Jr.

  _____