[Pharmwaste] Treatment of pharms in wastewater facilities

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Thu Feb 18 10:14:18 EST 2010

 <John.L.Price at dep.state.fl.us>Given all the discussion on excretion rates
of pharmaceuticals, the question I have is whether it is now, or ever will
be possible, to handle these drugs during the wastewater treatment process.
In my community, the local water authority is preparing to sell 'reclaimed
water' (ie., that which has not been subjected to the final treatment phase
of dispersion) for irrigation purposes to a local school. I'm shuddering to
think of children rolling around in a gumbo of drugs that we can neither
identify or have any possibility of treating.