[Pharmwaste] Take-back inventory time requirements

Jaramillo, Jeanie Jeanie.Jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu
Thu Jan 14 14:09:46 EST 2010

We painfully counted everything (pill counts, etc. and estimated ml for liquids).  Our event was from 10-2; 296 vehicles came through, 800 pounds of meds.  The Wisconsin folks (Meddropdane.org) had warned us how tedious and time-prohibitive a complete inventory would be.  But, we had 90 pharmacy student volunteers, so we thought we could do it.  We had about 20 pairs of people completing inventory - one counting, one entering.
Some were only available for a few hours.  We did not have enough computers and it became quicker for some to log on paper.  We closed up at 10pm and had about 75 pages of handwritten logs to enter.  So, it takes a lot of time and manpower.

I recall Matthew Mireles commenting that many programs now inventory samples, so if you are interested in logging what comes in and you do not have unlimited resources, you may want to consider logging in the items collected from every 5th vehicle or something similar.  I'd like to see the software application, perhaps through GoToMeeting.  Love the bar code scanning feature, though our collection did not produce as many items with bar codes.  We definitely don't need to be recreating the wheel if it's already out there.  I greatly appreciate the dialog and info-sharing!

Jeanie Jaramillo, PharmD
Managing Director, Texas Panhandle Poison Center
Assistant Professor, Texas Tech UHSC School of Pharmacy
1501 S. Coulter St.
Amarillo, TX 79106
P: (806) 354-1611
C: (806) 672-0833