[Pharmwaste] Sampling of med take back items

Dennis Lucia djlucia at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Fri Jan 22 08:51:39 EST 2010

Before you attempt to mandate that you need drug statistics for all
collections.  What have you learned from the collections that have been
held, where data on the types of drugs and quantity has been recorded?

Doing an analysis of every 1/10 or 1/20 or 1/100 will not tell you much
and requires that at each collection you have a trained pharmacist.  By
the way, you do know that having anyone other than law enforcement
handle the unwanted controlled substances at a collection event is
illegal.

Are you planning to collect additional information in violation of
privacy laws.
Like:
Diagnosis; length of treatment;
Did the patient have health insurance, type of health insurance;
1st prescription or multiple times that it has been prescribed
Male/female, age.
Why did patient stop taking drug? Reaction, type of reaction? Got
better? Died?
You will also need info on the location where the collection takes
place and demographic on the patient, regarding their life style, and
medical history.

There are many variables that make the analysis complicated...

Are you trying to get unwanted drugs out of households and properly
disposed of or are you trying to do a research study to analyze why
patients don't take the medications prescribed to them and why drugs are
being over prescribed?

Let's simplify the drug collections and work on the other issues in
other ways!!!

Dennis J. Lucia, P.E.
Pollution Prevention Unit
Division of Environmental Permits
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway  4th Fl.- SW
Albany, NY 12233-1750
(518) 402-9469
Fax (518) 402-9168

>>> "Gressitt, Stevan" <Stevan.Gressitt at maine.gov> 1/22/2010 7:37 AM

Your internal consistency idea looks good. I am not the mathematician
or statistician, but I suspect there is enough horsepower on this list
to advise. It might also be interesting to see the difference in
consistency at 1/10 1/20 1/100 depending on sixze as we all who are
trying to sample will probably do best if we adopt a “best practice”

Stevan Gressitt, M.D., Medical Director
Office of Adult Mental Health Services
Department of Health and Human Services
MarquardtBuilding, 2nd Floor
11 State House Station
32 Blossom Lane
Augusta, ME  04333-0011
Ph: (207)287-4273
Fax: (207)287-1022
Cell Phone: (207) 441-0291
E-Mail : stevan.gressitt at maine.gov
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mh/

is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain
confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, copy,
use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this is strictly prohibited.  Please contact me by reply
e-mail or telephone and destroy all copies ofthis message.
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) does not
discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, creed, gender,
sexual orientation, age, or national origin, in admission to, access to,
or operations of its programs, services, or activities, or its hiring or
employment practices.  This notice is provided as required by Title II
of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and in accordance with
the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, the Age Discrimination Act of
1975, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Maine Human
Rights Act and Executive Order Regarding State of Maine Contracts for
Services.  Questions, concerns, complaints or requests for additional
information regarding the ADA may be forwarded to DHHS’ ADA
Compliance/EEO Coordinators, 11 SHS-221 State Street, Augusta, Maine
04333, 207-287-4289 (V), 207-287-3488 (V), 1-800-606-0215 (TTY).