[Pharmwaste] Sampling of med take back items

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Fri Jan 22 12:25:48 EST 2010

Drs. Mireles or Gressitt should jump in here and espouse the immeasurable value of something close to an accurate nationwide inventory system (which Mireles has begun with his National Registry).  While not diminishing the value of take-back programs' reduction/elimination of teen overdoses and returning our aquatic life back to something resembling normalcy, the power of the almighty dollar cannot be underestimated.

The amount of waste meds and the parallel monetary loss we're paying for, hopefully will find its way to a congressman's desk, if an estimate has not already.  With our health-care system broken, I'd dare to say a billion dollars/yr could be saved if Drs. had this inventory so they could be more prudent in their prescription writing.  Throw a valid report in front of DC lawmaker at this time and you might see a little more interest in passing some national laws (what's the status of the existing draft bill currently in that congressional sub-committee?).

Without a half-way valid inventory on what's being wasted, no guidance can be given to our caretakers as to which family of drugs are the most wasted.

In my opinion (laden with pollution prevention), the pharmaceutical companies should be culpable for every pill they produced, but wasn't taken.  They would be the ones best equipped to determine if some of these meds can be "regenerated/reformulated" or how to best dispose of.

Allen Gilliam
ADEQ State Pretreatment Coordinator