[Pharmwaste] percentage source of drugs from excretion - and letter to certain dispensing facilities

Scott Stoner sxstoner at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Thu Jul 8 11:25:24 EDT 2010

As I read the EPA report, PhRMA did not say that 99.9% comes from excretion either - only that 99.9% would come from excretion IF all unused drugs were landfilled. While I have certainly not always agreed with PhRMA, I think it is important to understand exactly what the EPA report states.  However, given that large amounts of unused drugs are clearly flushed and NOT landfilled, we need to also keep in mind that the 99.9% is far from the actual current value.  This clearly points to a need for definitive, informed information on the current percentage of each source (from excretion to landfills to flushing to agricultural runoff to aquiculture to manufacturing facilities) and a comprehensive approach to address all of them.  NYS DEC just issued a letter to certain regulated dispensers.  See the link to the letter to DOH Class 3A institutions in the right hand column of  our website, www.dontflushyourdrugs.net

- Scott J. Stoner, Chair, Pharmaceuticals Work Group, NYS Dept.  of Environmental Conservation