[Pharmwaste] Youth Rx Abuse Prevention/Take-back Campaign

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Thu Mar 11 12:06:44 EST 2010

Anyone other programs taking this avenue?  Law enforcement folks focusing on teen overdoses taking the lead?  Seems there may be more attention given take-backs when prescription drug abuse and teen overdoses are the headlines in newspapers.

Our wastewater folks should be jumping on this bandwagon as stakeholders.  Please see https://ardhs.sharepointsite.net/RX for our State Drug Director's campaign details.  There's some great info provided showing these folks did their homework.

Dr. Mireles knows about this program already.  Dr Gressitt?  This ought to be right down your alley too.

If there hasn't been great success selling your take-back programs in your state solely for the purpose of protecting the environment, try hitting it from a "save a child" viewpoint.  The obvious third prong that should be in this approach is the money savings aspect but, it appears the human, not the environmental or (hard to put a number on the savings) money issue that might capture the public's attention sooner and greater to take-back programs.

Allen g