[Pharmwaste] Display of pills at DEA events

DeBiasi, Deborah (DEQ) Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Oct 13 17:08:11 EDT 2010

At sites I checked on in Virginia, we provided Sharpie markers for
people to mark out their identifying information on medications.  Some
did, some didn't.  However, the collected drugs were not displayed to
the public, so it wasn't an issue for us.  As soon as a bag inside the
box was filled up, it was removed, tied and taped with the date and
initials of the DEA agent on site, and put in his trunk for later
transport.

The DEA HQ office issued guidance that the medications were not to be
handled and no questions were to be asked of people dropping them off.
It would have been helpful to have done an inventory of the types and
quantities so we could get a better handle on controlled versus
non-controlled substances, and why meds were turned in - but the
important part is that those meds are no longer a potential hazard.  We
did pass out additional information on environmentally responsible
disposal of home medications and our contact information for questions.

Deborah L. DeBiasi, Virginia DEQ
Office of Water Permit and Compliance Assistance Programs
Email:   Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov
PH:         804-698-4028