[Pharmwaste] Display of pills at DEA events

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Thu Oct 14 09:08:55 EDT 2010

I totally agree with the lost information aspect.  As with most worthwhile programs, someone, sometime is going ask about performance measures.  What information was gained from this?  A close estimate of pounds of who-knows-what type meds, prescription or OTC and only an estimate of pills, etc.  Is this all we can claim for a baseline?

This office is not grousing, the national campaign was a huge success from what I've read.  And, sincere appreciation should be given to all the "take-back day" participants nationwide.

The Fed DEA should have given this "national take-back day" a little more thought (and funding) to establish a more detailed baseline from which future/on-going take-back can be measured before they rushed pell-mell into this.  Statistically speaking, a decrease in teen overdoses, diversion arrests etc may be a possible measure for someone to pull out of the national statistics.

But if just a handful of participating metropolitan areas could have had a chance to analyze their wastewater treatment plants' influent/effluent for known (analytically possible) medications present before and after this event, it's possible victory on a two-front battle could have been claimed.

And, I still agree with Gressitt's and Mireles' claim that the almighty dollar lost by government (taxpayers) in the form of the recently collected UEMs will garner future sustainability and funding for more national take-back events if the IG's(?) office comes to find out the national healthcare loss.

Seems this event was about "collect all the UEMs possible" with very little mentioned about the environment and monetary loss.

Arkansas' take-back day resulted in some mind boggling, more than expected lbs of UEMs collected also.  Their news release is currently being drafted by the Governor's "Drug Czar" and hope to see it posted on the Fed's DEA website soon.

Is the next step the long term care/nursing homes?

Allen Gilliam
ADEQ State Pretreatment Coordinator
501.682.0625