[Pharmwaste] Well it was bound to occur somewhere...

Pamela Ortner portner at angelahospice.net
Mon Feb 14 11:04:38 EST 2011

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7416082.html
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew C. Mireles
  To: Buxbaum.Diane at epamail.epa.gov ; easmith at comofcom.com
  Cc: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us ; 'Stevan Gressitt' ; Elizabeth A. Smith PhD ; pharmwaste ; Gilliam,Allen
  Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 11:04 AM
  Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] Well it was bound to occur somewhere...

  Thanks so much for this suggestion.  I'll try to track down this book by Ehrenfeld.  We are a nonprofit medical research group based in Houston.  Many of us are researchers who study high-hazard industries, including health care.  We most interested in the man-made systems that are designed, developed and operated to the limits of human performance and safety.  Some are characterized by low probability-high consequence events, such as a catastrophic failure.  Most are highly reliable and beat the odds of a disaster that affect people and environment.  I'm an epidemiologist and very interested in emerging diseases and outbreaks directly or indirectly related to safety risks and dangers of these systems.   Their failures are often categorized as technological disasters.  Our questions are how do certain organization learn about these risks and dangers and why some can operate reliably and safey and others can't.

  Recently in the news, an alarming statistic was announced "Americans consumer 70% of the world's opiates and pain killers".  If you know of the reference to this statistic, please let us know.

  Matthew Mireles