[Pharmwaste] Fwd: Google Alert - unused medicine disposal

Jan Harris jharris at sharpsinc.com
Thu Jul 7 17:33:55 EDT 2011

Jeff and all,

I can understand anyone's concern regarding diversion. I have been in the medical waste industry for over 20 years in both the hauling business, mailback, and as an independent consultant. I used to hear the same concerns about medical waste being handed over to a truck driver - "wouldn't it be safer to destroy/encapsulate/burn it yourself and put it in the trash?" As long as humans are involved in the handling of anything of value there is the potential for diversion. How is it any safer to hand a truckload of pharmaceuticals to a hauling company driver  with no enforcement component to his company after a takeback program than a citizen handing a non-descript mailer to a postal worker who does?

In addition, look at how those drugs get to pharmacies in the first place. Would we suggest that the millions of prescription drugs transported by USPS, UPS and FedEx every year to pharmacies throughout the world be stopped - and instead hauled by independent hauling companies?

The USPS handles millions of hazardous and non-hazardous, valuable and non-valuable pieces of mail every day. I would have to ask what controls are in place to 100% eliminate diversion by haulers, doctors prescribing and handing out samples, grandma's grandson stealing drugs from her medicine cabinet, police officers in evidence rooms, and yes, common carriers. If someone can come up with a 100% foolproof method I think we would all gladly implement it.

Non-controlled household drugs are solid waste and can be incinerated at a variety of types of permitted incinerators.  Our mailers have gone through extensive evaluation by the USPS and approved based on an extensive history of compliance and safety. They go directly to a mail distribution center, then directly to our facility. They don't end up at a post office somewhere for sorting. They are received, off-loaded, caged, scanned, and incinerated all by law enforcement. Our program is as much about safe handling and treatment as it is about source reduction and improved outcomes.

Here is my take. We all have our own opinions based on a variety of data as to what is best, safest, most convenient, most confidential, etc. However, often times our opinions are based on our own personal or business biases. I can find something wrong with any method you choose. There is no one right way to solve the issue of unused medication disposal. My wish is that we all could understand that we want the same thing - the safety of our water, land, air, and citizens.  Some people love the takeback idea, some people love the mailback; some people will pay to have their drugs disposed properly, some people will not pay. Then there are those who don't care, or have not bought into the fact that this is an problem worth solving. Instead of fighting over mailback or takeback, why don't we work toward moving those folks who don't want to take advantage of either to one or the other.

Thanks Jeff for bringing up the concerns, and to this list serve for allowing us to have these discussions.

Jan Harris | Director, Environmental Health & Safety

Sharps Compliance, Inc.

jharris at sharpsinc.com<mailto:jharris at sharpsinc.com> | http://www.sharpsinc.com