[Pharmwaste] short article: A Solution to Pharmaceutical Pollution?

Rita Wong rwong at eciad.ca
Fri Jul 8 19:40:18 EDT 2011

Hello,
Below is an article I recently wrote, and thought might be of interest
to folks on this list. If you have any suggestions as to where it
should be circulated, I'd be happy to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Rita Wong

****
A Solution to Pharmaceutical Pollution?

Today, pollution is shifting so that it is not merely something out
there (smog, tons of plastic suspended in the ocean) but also
something inside each and every one of us, spread by our shared
experience of air, water, and food. The term "body burden" refers to
the hundreds of chemicals now found in the average citizen around the
world, chemicals that did not exist in our bodies before World War II.
Some of these chemicals have been shown to cause organ damage as well
as cancer in various studies. There is no escape from pollution, but
there may be possible solutions if we pay attention.

Last year, four engineering students at Ryerson University won an
award for their final year project--designing a process to remove
residual pharmaceuticals from wastewater. As someone concerned about
residual drugs in our sewage, I was very excited to learn of their
work. So, I tracked down Reuben Fernandes, Kirill Cheiko, Charles
Gilmour and Pawel Kita, and asked them a few questions about their
project.

They’ve all graduated. Fernandes will study public policy next year,
and Gilmour has gone on to graduate studies, where he is investigating
mutagens that form in wastewater. Cheiko is working for a consulting
engineering company designing water treatment systems for industrial
and municipal sectors, while Kita is working at an automotive company.
All of them want a chance to build a laboratory prototype to test
their design, and they recently shared their work at the Northeast
Water Science Forum in Portland, Maine, this April.

The three-stage process they developed uses commercially available
technologies--such  as advanced screening, a Canadian hollow-fiber
membrane system, and a UV light/hydrogen peroxide reactor--but what is
unique is that this particular combination removes traces of
pharmaceuticals. Conventional wastewater treatment plants were not
designed to handle everything from antibiotics to cancer drugs, pain
relievers, and endocrine disruptors.

They chose seven representative compounds from five pharmaceutical/EDC
families that are the most toxic and/or concentrated in wastewater,
and methodically set out to remove them. Given the hundreds, possibly
thousands of different drugs in the water, this is no mean challenge.
Cheiko would like their system to target hospital wastewater, where
such drugs are particularly concentrated. Having seen my own
hospitalized family members ingest strong anti-cancer drugs that
should not even be touched, and then flush their toxic wastes into
municipal waters, I appreciate their focus on hospitals.

Gilmour explains, "With enough time or energy, organic compounds
(which these drugs are) will keep breaking down until they reach the
base level of becoming water and carbon dioxide, which is ideally the
goal."  While the process they’ve designed takes a bit longer than
conventional treatment, it can remove more than 90% of pharmaceuticals
and endocrine disruptors.

I asked them if they’d had any surprises in doing their team project.
Cheiko says, "I was surprised that the effects of the residual
pharmaceuticals on wildlife are pretty well known, yet little is being
done to remediate the situation."  Deformed, intersex fish affected by
this pollution have been found from the Potomac watershed (Washington
DC, 2003) to Puget Sound (Seattle) to Lake Mead (Las Vegas), as well
as high rates of dead fish in some cases.

Given these effects, it's logical to ask what’s in store for humans
too.  Gilmour argues persuasively for a precautionary principle--it
being more cost-effective to reduce these chemicals as quickly as
possible, rather than to wait to find out the costs to our health and
environment. This happened with ozone and the Montreal Protocol in
1989, which is estimated to have saved billions of dollars in economic
and environmental disruption. In light of all the malformed fish, it
is also surprising that there doesn’t seem to be more urgency among
our leaders to address this very real problem.

Some of these drugs, such as endocrine disruptors, can have effects at
very low concentrations. What’s more, the cumulative effect of all
these chemicals mixing and interacting remains anyone’s guess.  "This
is a serious problem, one that will only get worse in the foreseeable
future if action is not taken soon," says Fernandes.  Perhaps more
municipalities should be talking to these guys, who are working on
real solutions.  While preventing these chemicals from entering the
wastewater is one real step more people can take, I don’t see our meds
disappearing from hospitals anytime soon, so this project deserves
more public support.

For more information about their project, contact Reuben Fernandes at reuben.fernandes at gmail.com
  or Charles Gilmour at crgilmour at gmail.com