[Pharmwaste] RE: PhRMA Medication Disposal StatementReleased October 31, 2011

Massoomi, Fred Fred.Massoomi at nmhs.org
Wed Nov 2 14:38:03 EDT 2011

Dr. Goldhammer-

I had the opportunity to meet with you in 2010 to discuss PhRMA's role
of pharmaceutical waste in the US water supply with George Mannina.

I applaud PhRMA's  October 31, 2011 press release and their continual
role in assisting the US with addressing the problem of unwanted
pharmaceuticals.

I was hoping to use your assistance with suggestions for updating the
SMARTRx site as listed below.  I know PhRMA is one of three sponsors for
this site and with the advent of take-back programs we (PharmWaste List
Serv) were hoping to assist PHRMA/APhA with updating your shared site
with current options, specifically:

Modify the message (and that of http://www.smarxtdisposal.net/
<http://www.smarxtdisposal.net/> ) to suggest folks look to dispose of
unused medication at take-back locations FIRST (resources exist to find
these such as: http://www.takebacknetwork.com)  before opting to throw
meds in the trash?

The FDA has modified their disposal message to include the take-back
option prior to disposal in the trash at:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm
<http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm>

Thank you for your time and assistance and please feel free to contact
me if you have any questions.

Fred Massoomi

Firouzan 'Fred' Massoomi, Pharm.D., FASHP

Nebraska Methodist Hospital

Pharmacy Operations Coordinator

Department of Pharmacy Services

8303 Dodge St.

Omaha, NE  68114

fred.massoomi at nmhs.org

(402) 354-4340 office            (402) 354-3139 fax

P How do YOU dispose of unwanted drugs?

This message and any included attachments are from Nebraska Methodist Health System and its affiliates and are intended only for the addressee. The message may contain privileged, confidential and/or proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Nebraska Methodist Health System and its affiliates in Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A at (402)354-2280.