[Pharmwaste] Program Evaluation--Thanks for your ideas!

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Wed Oct 12 13:41:36 EDT 2011

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for ideas on how to evaluate program success.
With your help, I was able to improve our grant application for funds to fully develop a drop-box collection program.

The most unusual aspect of the plan we have developed (and are already starting to implement) is the use of a centralized, secure storage unit.
This was incorporated for two reasons.  First, it addresses the limited secure storage space at some police agencies.  Second, it will also allow us to make fewer trips to the incinerator which will save quite a bit of money over time (less labor delivering and the incinerator has a flat fee per delivery rather than charging by the ton for pharmaceuticals.)

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
Fax: (607) 273-8433