[Pharmwaste] DEA rules to be published tomorrow

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Dec 20 10:57:46 EST 2012

Hi All,

The Pharmwaste Listserv is not posting at the moment.  I grabbed your email from a recent posting so at least some of the list could get this timely news.  Please pass it on to your contacts!

Ed

A congressional staffer let me know yesterday:

"the DEA has drafted a comprehensive Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to implement the Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2010.  The White House Office of Management and Budget concluded its review on December 14, 2012, and publication is anticipated on Friday this week.  The draft NPRM proposes a variety of disposal options for how ultimate users may return controlled substances for the purpose of disposal. I do not know for sure, but I assume that these will be published as proposed rules with an opportunity for comment."

Assuming there is an opportunity to comment, I would like to suggest that we use this Listserv to share our thoughts on the proposed rules.  Having others perspectives would help me craft better comments.  It could turn out that the DEA did a great job and all I will need to say is, "well done".  I will certainly say that about as many parts as I can, to balance the suggested changes I will likely submit.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433