[Pharmwaste] Collections in conflict with law enforcement certification

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Feb 23 14:18:49 EST 2012

Hi All,

I brought up this conflict (Vol 75, Issue 16) in relation to handling material from drop-boxes.  It could also be an issue with one day collection events.

My posting mentioned two possible solutions.  Get non-certified law enforcement agencies to empty the boxes in station houses of certified agencies or pass a county law mandating collections and specifying bulk handling of medications.  Such a law would allow law enforcement to participate and not lose accreditation.

Our Sheriff, along with a local police chief, are working on a third solution.  The Sheriff is working to get the support of the state sheriff's association in asking the state law enforcement accreditation council to add provision for bulk handling of pharmaceuticals collected at take-back events and from drop-box programs.  The police chief has gotten the topic on the agenda of the March meeting of the state accreditation council.  If they are willing to make such changes, it will take more than one meeting and they only meets quarterly.  Still, if this effort is successful it will have a state-wide effect.  A county law would only help our local efforts.

I am grateful to these leaders for thinking of this bold approach and doing their best to make it happen.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment  Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433