[Pharmwaste] DEA Collection Correction

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Thu Feb 23 19:48:18 EST 2012

When DEA does events here, they seem to be compelled to collect and destroy everything the same day as the collection event. Maybe that is a parameter they've decided to stick firmly to? As such, extending the hours any later doesn't work here, although I think an earlier start would be fine. They don't do much advertising and last time they did a press conference for the event, it wasn't covered by any of the news media as far as we could find, so adjusting the hours locally to be earlier would probably work out. Advertising may be different/better in your state, but they pretty much leave it to the locals here.
DEA sets the pickup/drop off locations and time for participating law enforcement. If you miss the handoff place and time, you don't get your pharm waste transport and disposal cost covered by them. If people here were interested in inventorying, they could, they just wouldn't get their costs covered, which may or may not be a big deal. It seems they could find a secure location to hold the stuff for a day to allow for inventorying and a larger window of time for law enforcement to bring in their waste. We have a brand new giant BCA building here in St. Paul...
Our DEA sent out a letter on Feb 6 to the MN's Sheriff's Association inviting participants. I received it from one of the county participants on Feb 7, so they forwarded it out right away. In this letter they listed an incinerator that they've used but isn't approved by the MPCA for disposal, further confusing the disposal issue that I've been chasing down and presenting workshops on for over a year.
Perhaps if you help them locate a secure storage facility (local evidence rooms aren't generally large enough) and whatever else you can do to make it easier, they'll agree to it. The data would be useful to DEA unless they are hoping that the percentage of controlled substances collected is more than the usual 5-10%. It is still significant at that level given they collected 377,096 total pounds at the Sept 2011 event last year.