[Pharmwaste] Prescription Drug Takeback Programs & Substance Abuse Policy

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Mar 2 12:47:36 EST 2012

Dear Mr. Laris,

I'm sure you recall that I provided you with information about the
costs and results of the drug takeback program run by the CSMD in
Tompkins County, NY.

I read the Policy Brief for your examination of prescription drug
takeback programs at http://carnevaleassociates.com/takebacks.

In the opening summary paragraph, Carnevale says, "In addition, we
found no evidence that takeback programs affect prescription drug
abuse."  I'm quite shocked to read this very misleading statement!  It
creates the strong impression that you looked at evidence and concluded
that takeback programs do not affect prescription drug abuse.  This is
not the case.

In this same Policy Brief, in the paragraph titled, "Assessing
Takebacks: Little is Known" you state, "In fact, no research has been
conducted to investigate takebacks’ effect on prescription drug abuse."
If no research has been done on the question, a neutral conclusion would
be appropriate.  Wouldn't a more accurate summation be, "Data doesn't
exist to determine if takeback programs affect prescription drug
abuse."?

I hope you be able to address this issue in a meaningful way.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433

>>> "Zachary Laris" <zachary at carnevaleassociates.com> 5/5/2011 1:34 PM

Thank you Mr. Gottlieb, this is most helpful.

Best,
Zach

Zachary Laris
Junior Policy Analyst