[Pharmwaste] Wisconsin pharmacies inform customers about Rx drug disposal

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Mon May 7 16:30:08 EDT 2012

Congratulations! I love that you are able to give out the unified message!  We finally got our marketing materials put together and are hopefully ready to update our website.

In case someone out there is in a similar position of not quite being ready to get out a unified message, I am hopeful that you don't have others entities working at cross purposes, who don't review your website information on disposal and who do not contact the people in your agencies who have been working for several years to establish a collection network for pharms. I was sorely disappointed that the attached letter went out to all cities and through other channels across MN with no check in to the state disposal authority (MPCA) or the Board of Pharmacy. Now we have extra work to do to counter the messaging that has already gone out. Our website says to first contact your sheriff's office to see if they collect, then use trash disposal if you have to. With nearly 100 collection sites, we don't think anyone will have to do that anymore. We do not agree with the guidance from the ONDCP on flushing some medications, we never have.

But the letter says otherwise and it went out first. So, if you are planning a unified message, you might want to let Smarxt Disposal know exactly what that is, sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
JV