[Pharmwaste] Chemo Drugs?

Jan Harris jharris at sharpsinc.com
Tue May 22 17:47:23 EDT 2012

Our experience with home infusion organizations is that they educate the patients and/or the nurses administering the chemo in safe handling and disposal. Empty/trace is safely contained and brought/shipped back for incineration disposal by the branch; and any bulk left over (patient expires or can't take it), or acutely haz containers are safely contained and picked up by the branch courier and sent out by the branch as hazardous waste.  HI organizations/doctors need to be educated if they are simply sending out the chemo and letting the patient try and dispose of it themselves.

Jan Harris | Director, Environmental Health & Safety

Sharps Compliance, Inc.

jharris at sharpsinc.com<mailto:jharris at sharpsinc.com> | http://www.sharpsinc.com