[Pharmwaste] New Collection Record Set

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri May 25 08:14:41 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I believe new national records have been set for the most weight of unwanted pharmaceuticals collected and the highest participation rate at a one day event in a single location.  About 930 residents of Berks County, PA (includes the city of Reading) dropped off 2,324 pounds on April 28th.

Congratulations to organizer Jane Meeks, Solid Waste Authority Executive Director!  The event was co-sponsored by Pennsylvania American Water.

Jane told me she attributes the tremendous increase in participation to combining the collection with their already popular paper shredding event.

http://www.4-traders.com/AMERICAN-WATER-WORKS-CO-2989352/news/American-Water-Works-Co-Inc-Berks-County-Smashes-Previous-Pharmaceutical-Collection-Record-14341794/
&
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=388336

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433